Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Homeschooling Books

I often get asked what books beginning homeschoolers should start reading. I don't know what the absolute best books are for everyone else, but I can say what helped or inspired me or gave me confidence when I first started homeschooling. I still read books about homeschooling, either about families who have homeschooled or about different methods of teaching.

Right now I'm reading a book called "Kingdom of Children: Culture and Controversy in the Homeschooling Movement," by sociologist Mitchell L Stevens . It's been very enlightening for me to read about the beginnings of the current/modern homeschool movement and the division that can exist between what he calls the "believers" and the "other homeschoolers." [I'm going to add it to my Listmania list at Amazon.] I started reading this book now because I was asked to speak at a sociology class on the family at UVA in April, and one of the chapters in it is required reading for the students.

I think that some of the books that have influenced me the most are "Better Late than Early" by the Moores, "Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling" by John Taylor Gatto, "The Teenage Liberation Handbook" by Grace Llewellyn, and "Homeschooling: The Early Years" by Linda Dobson. But they are just the beginning. :) I also am a huge fan Home Education Magazine. It comes every two months and is always inspiring to read.

If you just want to read about public schools, John Taylor Gatto's "Underground History of American Education" is a must-read. He describes the evolution of our current public school system. There's a good description and several reviews of it at Barnes and Noble . Reading this book really convinced me that compulsory education just can't be fixed.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Steph said...

Excellent reading list! I LOVE the name of your web log. My husband studied Russian, too.