Friday, March 23, 2007

More on Jim Trelease, and a fun book we're reading

I just remembered, as I was putting the kids in bed just now, a couple more tips from Trelease. He recommended installing a reading lamp above your child's bed (I suppose a light on a night table would work) and allowing them to stay up with their light on if they're going to read. Sounds like bribery and behavior modification to me. :) [I have recently finished reading Unconditional Parenting, by Alfie Kohn, so I just can't help it! Thanks for recommending it, Erin!] At any rate, since I quite often stayed up really, really late reading, I can't argue with him. As a matter of fact, I still stay up too late reading.

Another pointer was to have book boxes in the bathrooms, as you will have a captive audience there. :) He said to fill it with magazines and other colorful reading materials, as well. And to have books at the breakfast table. His overhead projector image for this was a picture of a child reading a cereal box--"Why? Because it's there." So you might as well have books at the table, especially when kids are eating a meal or snack by themselves. That doesn't happen often at our house, so I don't know that I'll encourage it. I can just see spilled food and drink on library books.

Tonight I read to the kids while they ate. I found a new book by a favorite author of ours, Cornelia Funke. It's called Ghosthunters and the Incredibly Revolting Ghost. According to her website, this is the first in a new series of books "for boys who don't like to read (of course that doesn't exclude girls, who don't like it either). " There's also a long list of books that were recommended by the people who visit her website. I'm looking forward to picking up a few of them. And if anyone is in California, Cornelia Funke will very soon be in Los Angeles for the 12th Annual

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: