To make your own grass head:
- Cut about 12-18 inches from the toe of a pair of nylons.
- Pour a small handfull of grass seed into the toe.
- Then add several handfuls of sawdust, until it's the size you want. You'll need to push it down since the nylon stretches.
- Tie a knot at the base of the "head" and then decorate it. We used small rubber bands to create ears and noses.
- Then use marker or puff paint to make the rest of the face.
- Find a bowl or other container that the head will fit snugly into and not roll around.
- Fill it with water and also pour warm water on the top, where the grass seed is.
- Keep it watered and in sunlight, and within 10 days you should see it start to grow.
- You can trim the grass "hair" however you like, and it will keep growing--just like your lawn.
Thanks to Amy Hurt of the "I Hoe to Grow" seed project for showing our 4-H group how to do this fun project.