Saturday, May 05, 2007

Homeschoolers in the News

This article is from the Richmond Times Dispatch. A pair of homeschooled siblings are attending VCU at a young age. Nice, positive article about homeschooling in general, but it's also important to realize that not all kids who are homeschooled are going to be so advanced as these two. I do like a couple of the quotes from the mother:

"The things we did worked for us. Whether they would work for somebody else, I don't know," Proffitt said. [ . . .]
Her biggest mistake in home schooling became apparent to her after a few years, when exhaustion began to set in.
"I had a belief that I had to teach [Kate] not only everything I know, but everything she needs to know," Proffitt said. "At some point, I realized that my role was to teach her how to learn and instill in her a love of learning."

Good things to keep in mind.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: