Thursday, June 21, 2007

Big Meadows Birds of Prey Talk and the Skyline Drive

The kids and I went with a friend and her kids up to Big Meadows on the Skyline Drive today. It was a beautiful day to be up there! About 64 degrees, high was supposed to be about 71 deg. Really low humidity. We went to hear the talk about birds of prey, then went to the visitor center to walk through the self-guided tour about the displacement of people who had lived in the park area before the government made it the Shenandoah National Park and kicked them out.
This is a screech owl, about 15 yrs old, full adult size, that had been injured and cannot see out of one eye and can't fly, either. He was really cute, though.

The kids really enjoyed running around a bit. Maybe next time we'll take a hike on one of the shorter trails.
I don't know what that flower is, but it was all over the roadsides.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Kimbrah said...

The flowers look like Queen Anne's Lace or white yarrow. It's hard to tell from that picture. It looks like a wonderful trip!

By the way, I tend to just lurk around here, but I really enjoy reading your blog. I'm just not a big commenter.

Silvia said...

The leaves were huge, so I don't think it was queen anne's lace, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't yarrow. Puzzling. Thanks for visiting! Comment all you like. :)