Friday, June 29, 2007

A Different Bumper Sticker

The kids and I met with some new friends today, homeschoolers from out of town. We'll all be at the Live and Learn Unschooling Conference and thought it would be nice to meet now, while they were coming through town, so we'd know some friendly faces ahead of time. We are going to be there for almost a week, after all!

I told them over lunch about a bumper sticker my husband had just seen this morning, while driving the kids to art camp at McGuffey Art Center. It said "My boxer is smarter than your homeschooler." Ok, that's kind of funny. A spin on the "My [breed of dog] is smarter than your honor roll student" that we've all probably seen. And then there's always comedian George Carlin:

Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Well, these new friends have a bumper sticker that they put on their vehicle after their first child was born. It's message is simply, "My child is an honor." And they said friends just didn't "get" what they were saying. "What's it say? My child is a horror?" Yeah, ok, on some days . . . Wouldn't it be nice to see lots of families with my friends' bumper sticker on their own cars?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Family of Four said...

I saw a bumper sticker at our county homeschool office that read: "Don't Believe Everything You Think".

Silvia said...

My husband said later it lookde definitely homemade. A friend on our local hs list said their boxer is probably smarter than the owner. :)

Laura said...

My first bumper sticker was from Natural Child Project and read "Children behave only as well as they are treated." I loved that. My last one (bought at the L&L in St. Louis) read "Schools are for FISH" and as you can imagine, caused a bit of a stir on more than one occasion.

Funny story... my father was the president of our school board for 20 yrs and was responsible for their new school building and successful referendum. He died just before the referendum passed, so we went to the community celebration in his stead. It was very emotional for us, and very odd for me (having taught there, then rejected the system entirely). As we walked back to my van afterward, I realized all along my van, with 'Schools are for FISH', was parked front and center. That just cracked me up.

Silvia said...

That is funny. :) Sometimes I've had to pick up my step-son (17) from school early, or drop him off in the morning, and my license plate reads "HM-EDUK8" so that's always fun! Both my parents taught in public schools, and my father was a pricipal and even asst superintendent, before he joined the Foreign Service and they went overseas (right when I was leaving for college).