Saturday, June 02, 2007

How Does My Garden Grow . . .

This is my Russian comfrey--it's huge and I keep cutting leaves to use as a soil amendment (ok, I just let the leaves wilt and put them on top of the soil!). Comfrey is great in the compost bin if you use one--our chickens and the dog eat most of our food scraps, so we don't have one. There are a lot of other good things to know about comfrey, and you can read about it here.



This is my sundrops oenothera, which I purchased at the native plant sale. It's reassuring to see that it's already producing flowers. I hope that means it's happy where I planted it.

Our common milkweed is doing great, popping up all over the place--I hope this means we'll see more monarchs this summer.


This is a closeup of the top of a milkweed plant--looks like it will bloom soon. The thick vine with large leaves above it are from my kiwi plant. I'll get some pictures of that tomorrow, and of my tomatoes, too.


And these are the squash plants--yellow crookneck, I think they are. Or just yellow squash.


Kind of hard to see it clearly, but there's a fig tree in there. More of a bush the way it's growing with multiple main branches. I've yet to get any edible figs from it. It may have to be moved to another location in the fall.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, thanks for the link about comfrey! I have a lot of it. A friend gave me a clump years ago and it breeds often. :) I now have a nice row of them - they are lovely and the bees adore it. I am intrigued at the idea of lining garden beds with it and will try that out with my yet-to-plant potatoes.

Found you via my blog comments via Unschooling Voices! And when I showed my son your offer to visit VA to dig another pond, he chuckled and said, "hmmm... Virginia, huh?" :)

Laura