Friday, June 15, 2007

What American Accent Do You Have?

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Personality Test Results

Click Here to Take This Quiz
Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.




I'm not sure this is really me. I'm from NY (not the city, though) and had a strong NY accent till I moved to Fairfax, VA, in 1986. My different way of speaking was pointed out to me (ever so politely) by classmates, so I quickly neutralized my strange (to them) vowel sounds. I know I say some things "Southern" now, but maybe the net effect has been to give me a Northern accent. Weird. Or maybe I just answered some questions wrong. (Via a circuitous route [pronounced like "out" and not like "root," although I do use both pronunciations--man, am I messed up!] , from cvilleblogs to Wags Outside to CvilleWords to lowercase liberty to LewRockwell.com.) I think I'll take the quiz again and see what happens. :)

Ok, now I come out with a Midland accent. Either I can't hear myself, or I'm very confused about how to say things. Fun!

So, here's a poll--if you actually know me in person, what do you think I sound like? Be nice.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Lill said...

Apparently, I have a Northern accent too. However, here in Maine, I'm always being accused of being having a NY city accent, which is strange, because I'm from RI. However, when I was in RI, I was always being asked where I was from, because I didn't have a RI accent. I learned to talk when we lived in Maryland, spent two years there, then moved all over the place, so maybe that's it. Maybe I should take the test again. LOL.
Shine On,
Lill

Stephanie said...

Try the one I link to in this post:
http://throwingmarshmallows.homeschooljournal.net/2006/10/14/205/

It gives you percentages and does not just pick "one" accent. I found that it was dead on for me. 50% General American English, 25% Yankee and 20% Dixie. (Not sure what happened to the last 5%!)

I took the one you linked to and got northern as well...I think that means just general american english?

Fun stuff though...