Thursday, July 05, 2007

Could It Be a Fortune's Osmanthus?

I never noticed the tiny white flowers before. I always saw them before they opened and thought they were something else--what, I don't know. But I think that this is some sort of Osmanthus (Olive family, Oleaceae).



From the one book on shrubs I have, I have narrowed it down to Osmanthus fortunei--hybrid derived from O. fragrans and O. heterphyllus. But it says it blooms in the fall, and this is early summer. The leaves are finely toothed and the flowers appear in clusters of 7. This site, however, says the leaves are more sharply toothed. So maybe not. The search goes on.




There is a native species, O. americanus (Devilwood), but the leaves are longer and have no teeth.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Lonnie said...

I grow the American osmanthus, and yeah it does look quite different. More people should grow it.

Is your tree fragrant?

Silvia said...

Right now it's just slightly fragrant.

Anonymous said...

That shrub looks very much like Euonymus kiautschovicus 'Manhattan'. I have several in my yard. They can get quite tall (9-10 feet) and hard to keep shaped at that size. Also, the deer seem to like to nibble on the lower leaves.

Silvia said...

Could be. It stays green all winter, we're in zone 6a or 7. No deer nibbling going on, but they tend to leave all our plants alone anyway. This one is tall and somewhat hampered by a taller tree over it, but def. could get to 10 ft, I think.