My friend Elizabeth was questioning the advisability of eating daylily flowers and had me a bit concerned that I'd passed on a bit of bad info with the potential for leading people to gastronomic distress. So naturally I had to look it up online.
I feel much better now. :) And here's a nice article from the San Francisco Chronicle about eating and growing daylilies, too.
Daylily leaves and flowers are edible, but pick only from plants you know have not been sprayed with insecticide or fungicide. Young foliage (three to five inches long) can be simmered or stir-fried. Flower buds and blossoms can be consumed at all stages or their growth. Tight buds can be used in salads, boiled, pickled or stir-fried. Half-open and fully-open blooms can be dipped in a light batter and deep fried. Young flowers and buds can be strung and air dried. These are commonly referred to as "golden needles" in Chinese cooking. Before using, soak the dried flowers in warm water for a few minutes to soften.