Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Is Homeschooling Right for You?

I'm not trying to answer this question, but Homeschooling Journey is. Every parent needs to consider many factors before deciding. I think her list of reasons not to homeschool are interesting:

Here are some reasons not to homeschool:

Don’t homeschool if currently find yourself disciplining your child more than you should. Homeschooling causes tensions that might push you from overly strict discipline to abuse.

Don’t homeschool if you must work full-time. I don’t believe a parent can successfully homeschool while working a 40 hour a week job. I do know someone who did it for a year, but she spent over $1000.00 a month on tutors, and was still dissatisfied with the results.

Don’t homeschool if you have a house full of babies. I’m sure some folks will disagree with me, but I don’t think you can give your grade school kids sufficient attention if you have three little ones to watch.

Don’t homeschool if you have a poor education. By poor education I don’t mean the lack of a college degree. I mean no high school diploma.

Don’t homeschool if you strongly dislike the idea. Both you and your kids will be miserable.


I left the following comment on her site:

"This is an interesting list of reasons not to homeschool. I'd add that if there is a serious dysfunction in the family (abuse, active drug or alcohol addiction, etc) it would not benefit the child to homeschool him/her. However, I do disagree with some of your list. :)

I think more parents are making it work to homeschool and work full-time, and of course it would depend on the child's age, independence, and type of homeschooling.

I also think that having a number of children isn't necessarily going to make it harder to homeschool. Again, it's a question of what style of hs'ing you're following. The more independence the child has, the less there might be required of the parent. If each child must be seated at the table for several hours with direct instruction from the parent, then I agree it would be rather difficult!

A lot of parents hs without a high school diploma or GED, and their kids are still getting a great education. It doesn't mean the parent isn't smart or doesn't have a lot of knowledge, just no piece of paper from an official. Even if the parent doesn't have the knowledge of the subject--which can happen even with a PhD--if he/she is willing to research and learn, then not having a diploma should not be a barrier. Both parent and child will benefit.

Thanks for the thought-provoking post. I'm sure you'll hear from lots of people on this one! :)"

This was another post from the carnival.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: