Thursday, July 12, 2007

Rural Life Images


This moth was dead when I found it, in my seed starting container. I don't know what it was. It's wings are a bit more yellow than the first picture shows.

Very large, very cool-looking mushroom. Anyone have a mushroom id book?

Wasps that stung Emily when she was in the hens' coop the other day. Ouch. I think these are paper wasps.

This butterfly was hanging out most of the day yesterday on my office window screen. When I went outside to get a picture, it flew to the brick chimney, but later was back on my window. Can anyone name this species? I couldn't find it in my Field Guide to Insects & Spiders, which has a very limited number of butterflies listed. The wings have orange spots on the under-side.

UPDATE: Someone from BugGuide.net has identified this butterfly for me! It's a Red-spotted Purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax)

And I saw this guy two nights in a row outside our back door. The light wasn't on outside, so he wasn't attracted to swarming insects. Maybe he just wanted to say "hi." I think it's an American toad.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: