Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sad Chicken News

No, we don't have a sad chicken--I'm not sure how you'd know that. But we do have sad news. When I went this morning to let the hens out and check on the chicks, I found that one of the barred rock chicks was dead--in the chicken coop, with no obvious injuries.

I'm afraid that it could have died of dehydration. We've been trying to get them to drink from the water cups, but have also kept the small waterer full. This one might not have been drinking enough anyway. I'm going to go buy a large waterer to add to their coop today.

I don't know what else could have caused its death, as all the others look healthy. If chickens, and I believe any fowl or even pet birds, get sick, they do it quickly and you don't have time to figure out what's wrong, generally. An exception would be if a laying hen is egg-bound, but that's not a spreadable illness. If it were feed-related, I think others would be dead or looking ill.

If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know.


Update: Someone mentioned another cause of death, which could be that there was a genetic defect or abnormality that didn't cause a problem until the chick started to grow more.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: