Friday, August 03, 2007

Delicious Frittata with Potatoes and Prosciutto

When we still subscribed to DirecTV, I'd occasionally watch Giada De Laurentiis' show Everyday Italian. She's cute, so Eddie watched the show, and she can really cook, so I watched it. I've had her Everyday Italian cookbook for a couple years now, and every once in a while, I'll try something from it.

Last night I tried one of her frittata recipes. It's listed as an antipasto, but it can serve as a light meal for lunch or dinner, and I added a cucumber (locally grown at my friend's garden, since ours are under-producing) and tomato (ours) salad on the side.

From page 25:

It's very European to use potatoes in omelets tarts, and frittatas--even on pizzas. [I have to add that it is truly amazing to see what Italians will put on their pizzas!] The key is to use small cubes of potato, as here, or very thin slices. You don't want to be biting into a whole mouthful of starch, and you want your potatoes to cook through in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's the recipe:
Frittata with Potato and Prosciutto

2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 onion,
chopped (I used a red onion, and less than half of it)
1 (15 oz) potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-in cubes (mine might have been a little smaller even)
1 garlic clove, minced (I used several cloves)
1/4 tsp salt (I eyeballed this and the pepper)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
6 large eggs (used what the hens gave us)
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped (I didn't have any, so I used about 3 or 4 slices of bacon)
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil (my basil plants are pitiful this year--I used dried
instead)

In a 9 1/2-inch-diameter nonstick ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over a medium flame. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add potato, garlic, salt and pepper, and saute over medium-low heat until potato is tender and golden, about 15 minutes. [I have to say her timing seems right on the money.]

Preheat the broiler. In medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, Parmesan cheese, prosciutto, and basil to blend. [Since I had bacon, and it wasn't cooked, I added it to the potato mixture above, and then drained off most of the grease before this next step.] Stir the egg mixture into the potato mixture in the skilled. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until egg mixture is almost set but the top is still runny, about 2 minutes. Place skillet under broiler and broil until the top is set and golden brown, about 4 minutes. [It took me about 2 min.] Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from the skillet and slide it onto a plate. Cut into wedges and serve.

The only complaint from Eddie and Nick was that there wasn't enough of it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yummy!

tegdirb92 said...

we love Giada in this house!! What a great recipe!