Sunday, August 26, 2007

Pictures from the Garden

Look how much this pumpkin changed in color from August 7th to the 12th!

This is the birdhouse gourd. It hasn't gotten as large as I thought it would. Maybe the heat or the bugs were affecting the growth.

These flowers are from the luffa "sponge" gourd plants. I'm still not seeing any gourds, though. This is an avocado plant I started in a pot sometime over the fall or winter. I put it outside when it started warming up, but left it out on a night we had frost, so I was afraid it had died. The tip seemed to die, but it's been doing well all summer, just not getting taller.
Yummy swiss chard.
Cantaloupe and a large dipper gourd. We've taken at least 12 cantaloupes from the 4 plants. And there are several other smaller gourds growing as well.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Andrew Dent said...

Howdy!

I'm growing Luffa's in the UK and stumbled on your blog. It seems your Luffa plant has so far only produced male flowers. I've found it useful to grow several plants (in different areas of the garden) to insure that you get both male and female flowers at ~ the same time. Best of luck and happy growing :-)

Silvia said...

Well that's interesting! I do have about 6 separate plants growing in the same area. Does one plant grow only male or female flowers? Is it possible that I have 6 male plants? What do the female flowers look like, if they're different? Thanks for commenting!

Andrew Dent said...

From your photo I assumed you had just the 1 plant... 6 sounds plenty. Every plant should grow both male & female but the male flowers appear first. However, this is in theory. I have one plant covered exclusively in male and another just in female flowers... but they are quite different varieties and grown in direct and shaded sunlight respectively. As the season has gone on, I'm now seeing both flower types appear on my plants. As for photos, I've just quickly looked over at Flickr. Lots of good pictures of male flowers:
http://flickr.com/photos/hsh/905991880/

But only could find one of a fertilised female flower:
http://flickr.com/photos/joeysplanting/247294229/

They should look similar to the males but do not grow in clusters and appear on the end of a baby Luffa. Something like this (not a Luffa!):
http://flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/423970109/

Cheers.

Andrew Dent said...

Sorry- just found a decent photo:
http://flickr.com/photos/haile/156439494/

Feel free to edit my previous post. Cheers.

Silvia said...

Wonderful pictures! I've only seen the male flowers. How strange! The plants are shaded in the morning, and get mostly afternoon sun. Maybe that makes a difference? I'm going to scour the plants for the female flowers now. Thanks again!