Sunday, August 26, 2007

SOFTI Part Four

Part Four of a Series.

This post will be devoted to pastries. Better grab a napkin to stop the drool. :)

We bought most of our pastries from Carmine. Have fun clicking around the site.


When you buy pastries from a pasticceria, they wrap them up so nicely! Of course, this is mostly a waste, because they won't be in the wrapping for long.


I don't know the names of most of these--doesn't really matter, does it? This was sort of like a cupcake, or more like a sponge cake. When you're at the shop, they have them all labeled, but you can also just point at what you want. :)


This one looked like a mushroom. It was filled with a custard, or crema (I haven't tried this recipe, but it sounds about right). There were several filling choices for the filled pastries. There's a plain crema, chocolate crema, hazelnut crema, Nutella, ricotta filling, and whipped cream (panna).


I think this had the hazelnut filing.

No filling, more cookie-like.


I have no idea what this one was, but Emily obviously liked it.


Now this is how you start your day right!


I had been waiting for years, 13 years, to be exact, to have un cornetto con panna (like a croissant, filled with Italian whipped cream). I had extolled it's virtues to Eddie ever since I'd known him. He couldn't understand what was so great about one pastry. He could understand enjoying pastries, but to go on about just one?
He understood after one bite. I felt vindicated. :) We had a standing order with Carmine for most mornings, for between 4 and 6 of these. Can you see me licking my lips in this picture?

Thomas has devoured a Nutella-filled donut-type pastry.

I hope you've enjoyed this virtual tour of Italian pastries. Wait till you see the other desserts. :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: