Sunday, October 07, 2007

Rockets

A father in our local homeschool group had organized a model rocket workshop that we were signed up to attend. Then I made the mistake :) of purchasing the rockets with the kids, including the engines, at least a week or two before the event. Naturally, they could not wait till the workshop to start! This is Thomas's Quest (level 1) rocket, with the glue on the tail fins drying.

This is his finished rocket. We couldn't wait for paint!

This is the rocket we gave Thomas for his birthday, because the first one is still stuck in a really tall tree. This is also a Quest, but it's the kind you just snap together and use a little glue and it's ready to go!

This is Emily's rocket, which survived it's first launch and was recovered!

This is what Thomas's new rocket looked like after it was partially recovered. The nosecone was completely separate, with it's own parachute, and it drifted somewhere over the treeline to a neighbor's property. We've got permission to search it--maybe we can do that tomorrow. The parachute on this one, despite the 4 sheets of wadding, was burned. We used the correct motor size, so I'm not sure why this happened.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: