Saturday, November 10, 2007

Alternative to Pumpkin Pie

We are a family that loves pumpkin pie. So when you go to the grocery store and buy just the can of pumpkin, thinking you surely must have a can of evaporated milk in the pantry somewhere, because you know there's a frozen pie crust in the freezer, so you can't be missing anything else, and are wrong about that, this is what you can make instead. :)

I've never had to try out an alternative recipe before, but desperate measures and all that . . . The Libby's can (yeah, sorry that it's a Nestle-owned brand, but you can buy another brand or use your home-grown pumpkins) has a recipe for Libby's Pumpkin Roll which is to die for!

Still wrapped in plastic wrap, right out of the fridge.

But first, did you know that pumpkin is:

  • Low in Calories with 40 calories per 1/2 cup serving

  • Low in Fat and contains no Trans Fat, Saturated Fat or Cholesterol

  • High in Vitamin A with 80% as beta-carotene

  • An Excellent Source of Fiber
I won't repeat the recipe here, since it's at the above link. I will note that because some people in this house dislike nuts in baked goods, we skipped that part. We also were in such a rush to eat it once it was chilled that we forgot to sprinkle it with powdered sugar like it shows in the picture. We used a Pampered Chef large bar pan and had to bake for longer than the recipe called for, which is sometimes the case with stoneware.

I discovered that Libby's has videos to get you through the recipes, so if you're a beginning chef, that's a nice touch. I'm not sure what other food companies are doing this. Now I'm looking forward to making the pumpkin cheesecake! After Eddie and I got married, we traveled up to Long Island--Southold, Greenport, East Marion (where I lived for several years as a child, near Gardiners Bay) and Orient--to visit some of my family. They had a nice dinner/reception for us and had purchased several really delicious cheesecakes for dessert. One was a pumpkin cheesecake--we'd never had one before and just loved it.
I don't think there's much of this left now!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Lynn said...

This DOES look delicious! Can't wait to make it for my daughter!

Also,

Congratulations! You've won an award!

Silvia said...

Thanks Lynn!

Andrew said...

That looks amazing! I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie, but I think I could eat that entire roll...

piscesgrrl said...

ohmygosh I think I need to eat this, like, right NOW - and I just happen to have some frozen pumpkin puree from last season!

Silvia said...

What kind of pumpkin did you grow? Is it easy to harvest and save the pumpkin?

piscesgrrl said...

Um... ya. I didn't grow my own pumpkins either! I mooch those too. From a different friend.

It's all who you know, eh? LOL

But yes, it was easy to process. I just carved, hunked it up, baked it like squash, scraped the flesh from the skin, and pureed. YUM!

Maureen said...

Thanks for participating in the Carnival of Recipes this week!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Maureen

PumpkinRollExpertBaker said...

Yeah, where do you get your 40 calories a 1/2 cup measurement from? The libby's website says it's 370 calories from one slice. You'd have to eat 1/10th of a single slice if you're only getting 40 calories. There are fewer calories in a slice of pumpkin pie than there is in this pumpkin roll. Use 1/3 less fat cream cheese-fat free doesn't hold up well and the flavoring is off and use splenda sugar to cut out some of the calories.

Silvia said...

The calories are for pumpkin only, where it says "But first, did you know that pumpkin is: ". I wasn't saying "pumkin roll."