Thursday, November 29, 2007

CERT Training Day 2


Yesterday's training was quite different from Tuesday's. We started out with learning some dog bite prevention and animal language recognition. This section was taught by Renee Meador from the CSCJTA. The top 10 list of dogs most likely to bite, from a list the CDC compiles from ER reports, is:

  • Pit Bulls
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Huskies
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Chows
  • Great Danes (that really surprised me!)
  • Saint Bernards (another surprise)
  • Akitas
This report also includes mixed breed dogs involved in attacks. One tip I particularly appreciated was, in case a dog does attack you, don't offer it different body parts to bite! If it attacks your right arm, try to let that be what it keeps attacking, and not your leg or head or other body part.

The second half of the day was spent getting certified in adult CPR and using an AED. My CPR certification had expired last March, so I'm glad this was included in our training. Also, the guidelines have changed for performing CPR since I last took the course. Earlier, I had been taught to give two breaths and 15 compressions, but the current guideline is two breaths and thirty compressions. That's a pretty big difference!

When I was pregnant with Emily, Eddie and I took a class through Martha Jefferson Hospital on infant and child CPR and first aid, and that's different as well. We were told, though, that "adult" is age 8 and up when administering CPR. AEDs come with two sets of chest pads, adult- and child-sized.

I am hoping that CERT will offer us the infant and child CPR and AED class in the future, as well as more first aid.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: