Saturday, December 22, 2007

A Poem to Remember Before It's Too Late

"If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.

© 1999 by Diane Loomans

(I love this poem, but I have to say I disagree with much of what she is implying on this page about healthy and unhealthy home environments--goes against the grain of radical unschooling.)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Joanne said...

I love that poem. What a great reminder to slow down and enjoy our children. :-)

Yes, I also don't agree with the rest of it. She obviously has never met an unschooled child. :-)