Friday, December 07, 2007

Recipe for the Rutabaga Story

I feel guilted by I owe it to my gentle readers to at least supply them with the recipe mentioned in the rutabaga story, after showing them that injured finger. :) So here it is:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, sliced
12 whole garlic cloves
1 turnip, quartered (that's what the recipe says, but you really need to cube them smaller, and I think you could double the amount of turnip and rutabaga in this recipe)
1 rutabaga, ditto the above, and watch that peeler!
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs olive oil (feel free to use more)
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup low sodium chicken broth

Preheat oven to 450 deg. Place chicken, onion, garlic and veggies in large metal roasting pan. In small mixing bowl, combine lemon juice and olive oil; pour over the chicken and vegetables; sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt & pepper to taste.

Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 375 deg and cook another 20 minutes or till chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. (A note on this here--I think the turnip and rutabaga should be sort of pre-cooked before you start all this, maybe boiled, because this is not nearly enough time to cook them to tender, unless they're diced the size of peanuts.)

Remove chicken and vegetables from roasting pan and keep warm.

On stovetop, add chicken broth to roasting pan over medium-high heat. Using wire whisk, scrape all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes--keep stirring.

Serve sauce over chicken and veggies. Would go well with some brown rice or a fresh loaf of bread, maybe add a salad if you're feeling adventurous. (Serves 4)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Rachel said...

This sounds really delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Summer said...

You know I've never even tasted rutabaga? I think I'll use your recipe and give it a go.

piscesgrrl said...

Thanks! but I did accidentally scroll down too far and see that blasted finger again. "My eyes! My EYES!"

:)