Saturday, December 08, 2007

Thomas Goes Hunting

Thomas got to go hunting with Eddie today. This was his first real hunting trip--both kids have "hunted" in the woods on our property before. But this time Eddie and Thomas went to the property where Eddie's been having such great luck this year, so there was the 4-wheeler to ride, and a bit of walking to do to get to the hunting spot.

Then I get a call at 8:07 am from Eddie, saying that Thomas is about done and hopes I'll come get him. I don't know what time they left, but they would have gotten there around or just before sun-up, which was at 7:17 this morning.

I was still sleeping when he called. I mumbled that it would be a while and hung up. Emily and I got there around 10:30. She gets to go next Saturday. I have a feeling I'll be doing a repeat then, as well. But both kids want to go, and they learn a lot even if they're not out for long.

Here they come out of the woods. They look happy. :)
Thomas said they talked about deer behavior, marks the bucks make, etc, and mostly he saw lots of squirrels.
There was a large injured red fox that the landowner, and Eddie and his hunting buddy, had seen last week. It was dragging it's back end, not using the legs at all. Eddie thinks it might have been hit by a car. He saw it again today, but after Thomas had left.

Eddie did get a button buck this afternoon. I had asked him to bring home whole deer this season, so that Nute could have some of the internal organs. This was the first time he's been able to do that. It was a small one, not any bigger than our dog. I've posted photos of the gutting to a Picasa album, so as not to shock my more squeamish visitors. :) Just click on the photo to go to the album.
Young Buck Being Gutted
You've been warned!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: