Sunday, January 06, 2008

Another Lord John Book Finished

I finished Lord John and the Hand of Devils, by Diana Gabaldon, last night (late last night, I might add!). I have to say this gets just a neutral rating. It consists of three novellas, and I found the middle one, Lord Jonn and the Succubus, to be the most entertaining.

In Lord John and the Succubus, English soldiers fighting in Prussia are rattled by the nocturnal visitations of a deadly woman who sucks life and soul from a man. Called to investigate the night-hag, Lord John finds a murdered soldier and a treacherous Gypsy, and comes to the stark realization that among the spirits that haunt men, none frighten more than the specters conjured by the heart. . . .

The other two were good, but not what I expect from Diana's writing. Maybe they were just too short, considering most of her works are so long (between 700 and 900 pages) and this was only 320 pages total.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: