Saturday, February 09, 2008

Fifth Sentence Meme Revisited

I did this back in the summer but I saw Lynn had done it and I said I'd play again. :)

First the rules:

  • Pick up the nearest book.
  • Open the book to page 123.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post the next three sentences.
  • Tag five people and ask them to do the same.
I won't tag this time. Just tell me if you do it and I'll go visit. :)

So my book is Patterns in the Mind: Language and Human Nature, by Ray Jackendoff, a linguist and theoretical psychologist. I haven't started reading this yet, but it's staring at me all the time. :)

So, page 124, fifth sentence and the next three:

"Newport and Supalla had the clever idea of testing adult speakers of ASL who had only limited skills in English--people who had been using ASL daily for thirty years or more, so they had had plenty of experience with it. These people differed in just one significant variable: the age at which they first came into contact with the language. Newport and Supalla classified them into three groups according to this variable. The "native" learners were children of deaf signing parents, so they were exposed to ASL from birth."

I'm sure you're just waiting to hear more! :) This is from a chapter titled Language acquisition in unusual circumstances I.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

jodi said...

Looks like a fun meme...something I'll try when things settle down to a dull roar around my world. (I'm busy reading some books to review for one of my clients, so not a lot of time for extra posts right now.)

Homestead Mama said...

Oh, Too much fun. Off I go to do it too!

Lynn said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I wish I had more time to add to it my already very long list of books to read.

I liked this meme much better than the last one I did about "how your blog has evolved since its inception!"