Tuesday, March 04, 2008

How about Some Bird Pictures?

Can you stand more photos? I hope so . . .

Can you spot the hawk sitting in the tree? He's on a large lower limb, out to the right, but about at center of the limb. He was just coming from our chicken's yard area and landed there. The yard has netting over the top, so no chickens were harmed. :) I wonder if it's the same bird that was caught inside it a few weeks ago. This one looks more brown, to me, though. And then there's the bat house that has been there for about 6 years now and never lived in. Oh well.

Moving on to the chickens! Our beautiful Partridge Cochin rooster, Mumbles. And a black australorp showing us the business end of egg production. :)

Finally! This poor hen, a Rhode Island red, is one of the five that had big issues with having had their back feathers plucked. It's been about a year that they've had this problem, and they have had the hardest time regrowing their feathers. I wrote about it in July. One still has bare skin, but the rest seem to have regrown most of their feathers finally. So in this picture you can see what it looks like when a whole bunch of feathers are regrowing--they come out with a keratin coating on the individual feathers, which then comes off and the feathers kind of open up.
I had a pet cockatoo who liked to have me scratch the coating off any new feathers. I wonder if the hen would like some help, too.

How about even more good news--a bluebird pair came and visited the bluebird house on Sunday! They hung around for a while and then left. But I'm sure they'll be back when it's time to start the new nest.

And here's our window feeder with a tufted titmouse perched on it. That's all for now!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Crafty Gardener said...

I love bird pictures, keep them coming. I'm always posting them on my blog too.

Silvia said...

I love your idea of rocks as plant markers! I bet they last a long time. Thanks for visiting. :)