Thursday, April 03, 2008

About those CSAs

So did anyone else read C-ville's article on local CSAs and the controversy over Horse and Buggy? To summarize--a CSA farm is a "community supported agriculture" farm, from which you buy a share of the produce each season. The farmer is local, hence the use of the words "community supported." Horse and Buggy seems more akin to a grocery story: buying their produce, not growing it themselves, from 100's of other farmers, not necessarily local. And certainly not within 100 miles of most of those buying from them. There are other controversies as well, brought up in the article.

Thoughts from locals and folks around the world who run or buy from CSAs most welcome.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

cvillewords.com said...

I see the differences between Horse & Buggy and CSAs, an I understand why many people would prefer a CSA, but there are advantages to the H&B model, too, especially for those of us who don't have the time or inclination to contribute to the running of a farm.

I was an H&B subscriber last year. I preferred it to my CSA experience the year before. Because Bret spreads his purchasing over several farms, the shares were more regular, dependable, varied, and higher quality than I had experienced with a CSA.

I personally think the H&B model is a good compromise.

Silvia said...

Some of the trouble is that H&B sort of advertises itself as though it were a CSA. I have no problem with the way they do things, so long as everyone knows what that is. It's a free country, sort of. :)