Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Presenting the Carnival of Homeschooling, No. 125


Carnival of Homeschooling

I'm happy to once again be presenting the Carnival of Homeschooling! I've organized the articles by general category: education, family or miscellaneous. If you sent in an article that isn't here, leave a message in the comments and I'll look into it right away. Well, there are a lot of articles here, so get reading!


Education:

  • Jenny B (aka Mother Hen) presents The Princess READS!!! posted at Ship Full O' Pirates. Jenny says, "The Princess turning 5 recently kinda took me by surprise. Having a Princess is so much different than having Pirates that I find I think about her age in a different way. So, these last few days, I was sort of surprised to realize she is REALLY READY TO READ, as in, I don’t think I could stop her if I tried. So, I thought I would share what we’re doing and how and why and all that."

  • This next article is from Education.com, "Education.com is constantly compiling and adding new resources, reference guides and activities to the site, in the hopes of helping families and educators enrich the lives of the kids they nurture." It's not a homeschooling blog, but this post lists some "great books to kick-off the Olympics," which are something we are looking forward to watching. They also sent links for "life skills and learning personalities."

  • Science fair, anyone? Shez presents G.U.E.S.S. Homeschool Science Fair posted at Homeschooled twins. Here's a teaser, "What are two homeschooling moms to do when they want their children to do a science fair and they can't find one for love or for money? That's right, they arrange one themselves."

  • Ann sent in a post about the Pledge of Allegiance in Sign Language, adding "We are learning about sign language and learning how to sign the Pledge of Allegiance."

  • I really liked this sentence from the following post, "There's a big difference between wanting children to develop their potential and expecting them to be the best in everything they attempt." Amy Cortez presents The Gifted Kid and His Unfinished Projects posted at The Eclectic Telegraph.

  • Susan Gaissert presents Things I Learned From "I Love Lucy" posted at The Expanding Life. To get you started, "We watch a lot of “I Love Lucy” around here. I’ve been watching it all my life, and over the past few months I’ve been composing a list in my head of the things I learned, as a child, from the fictional characters and plots on “I Love Lucy.”"
  • denise presents Diagnosis: Math Workbook Syndrome posted at Let's Play Math!, and commented, "How can we help a new homeschooler who has been shafted by years of systematically poor instruction dished out by teachers who themselves did not understand math?" Should be interesting!
  • Also from Denise, but at her other blog, denise presents Frugal Homeschooling: I Love KISS Grammar posted at Frugal Homeschooling. To entice you, "Do your students think that grammar is abstruse? That's how I felt, until I discovered Dr. Ed Vavra's KISS Grammar program. Dr. Vavra's approach is clear, cumulative, and focused on how words work in real sentences and paragraphs by real authors. And the amazing thing is, he gives it away for free!"
  • Shauna presents home preschooling: getting started posted at Treasure Seekers. She ends with a question for you all, "What are your favorite activities to do with your toddler or preschooler? What toys, games, or books does your child especially enjoy?"
  • Sebastian at Percival Blakeney Academy sent in her post Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, and summarized with this, "Sebastian at Percival Blakeney Academy some links that put Depression era Mississippi into context while they are reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry."


Family:

  • Our first submission in the family category--Tony Gibbs presents A Summer Of Adventure posted at Birds and Things. From the article, "Have you ever watched a towhee luxuriating in a dust bath? Have you seen a male summer tanager splashing in a pool and then watched him preen and align his feathers after bathing? Have you noticed the female tanager comes timidly to the pool for her refreshing bath after her mate has completed his priming?"
  • I just came across this post on Sandra Dodd's blog and really liked the message, so I'm including it here. It's called Happiness, Freedom and Peace of Mind. She begins with this, "Joyce Fetteroll posted this on Always Learning. She got it from Word-a-Day e-mail or somewhere like that. It's worth putting where I can find it easily again and others can see it.
    There is a wonderful mythical law of nature that the three things we crave most in life—happiness, freedom, and peace of mind—are always attained by giving them to someone else.

    —General Peyton C. March (1864-1955)"

  • Andrea presents My secret reason for homeschooling posted at Kids and Nature. Love this! "There are lots of reasons people choose to homeschool their children. I'm not going to go into all of them, you can take a peek here if you're interested. My secret reason did not make the top ten. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, it's not a particularly honorable sentiment, it won't make a great slogan or lead a movement. I homeschool my children because I'm too lazy to take them to school." Wonder what non-homeschoolers will have to say about this one? Though I think that maybe lazy marks this unnecessarily as a negative--I'd spin this as, "I have better things to do with my time than waste it taking them to school!" :) Don't you agree?
  • My article for this week's carnival is Gourd Basket from Mother Daughter Weekend. Aside from the fun we had, I was just so delighted that my 11 1/2 yr old daughter was still excited about going somewhere with me! I guess homeschooling is "working" like people said it would. LOL
  • Adso of Melk presents The S Word posted at Lorem Ipsum. Adso speculates about the dreaded S word: socialization. What does that word actually MEAN? Find out at her post, and read the linked articles, too!
  • klh wrote about Sharing posted at Fun Homeschooling Toddler Activities. From the article, "I really want to know from other homeschooling moms who are intentionally teaching social skills to their children whether or not sharing is something to work on for a 20 month only child."
  • NerdMom asks Are You Striving for Merely Average? posted at Nerd Family. She wrote, "I don't think there is a single parent who would admit that average is all they hope for but I wonder if that is truly what they mean." Interested? Read the article!


Miscellaneous:



  • From the Carnival of Homeschooling's Henry Cate, we have an Introduction to the Carnival of Homeschooling posted at Why Homeschool. He says, "This is the post behind the new images for the Carnival of Homeschooling. Check it out. Is it a good, brief, summary about the carnival? Do you have suggestions on what to include, change, or drop?"
  • Sheri talks about Spirit...a horse study posted at Shades of Pink. She starts out with, "At this stage of the game we are having a quick and short unit study this week on horses. Why? Because we gardened all day Monday...and Friday the grandparents are pulling up to our house! Hopefully this study will expand over time, but for now here are a few links to get us going. And you will see several of the links are from Classbrain and their artmovies study on Spirit."
  • I might have skipped this article, because it is from a finance site and not a homeschooling one, but I think the information is important to share, and whether or not you agree with this article's ideas, it might lead to other discussions about finances. And this heading caught my eye: "Knowledge and Education Is Power, So Teach Your Student Financial Responsibility Early and Often" So, here we have MBB presenting Teaching Teens About Student Credit Cards posted at Money Blue Book: Personal Finance Blog.
  • christinemoers exclaims: A pox upon me! posted at welcome to my brain. "Christine gives you a little science lesson on childhood rashes ... mainly because she is currently COVERED in one!"
  • My friend Celeste has sent in Star Stuff, which is posted over at the Life Without School Blog, adding "...the qualities which make homeschooled kids stand out from the crowd often are highly subjective." Don't we know it!
  • Dana is Announcing a new homeschool talk show, posted at Principled Discovery. She says, "In July, I shall be beginning a new venture which I am looking forward to with great anticipation…and a good deal of fear and trepidation as well. I have been invited by a sort of network of conservative bloggers to host a talk show. Kind of like Rush or Larry King, except about homeschooling, over the internet and done from my home with four children running around in the background."
  • From The Reluctant Homeschooler we have On medical leave, "Unlike many moms, I both homeschool and work. When I began homeschooling in late January, it never crossed my mind that I could get sick - so sick that I would have to take medical leave. I can take a leave from work, but how would I keep school going? I'm managing somehow, but it feels like I get nothing done."
  • About.com's Beverly Hernandez posted the Biggest homeschooling challenge. She summarizes, "Isa in Michigan posted a good question to the Homeschooling Forum. "I'm interested in finding out what you consider to be your biggest homeschooling challenge. This could be having to do with academics or something different..."" You can leave your comments at her site.

Thanks for visiting! Please feel free to leave comments, and links to the carnival are appreciated!


The next carnival will be hosted at Seeking Rest in the Ancient Paths. Submissions are due to: CarnivalOfHomeschooling@gmail.com by 6:00 PM (PST) on the Monday evening of the week. It will be greatly appreciated if the submissions come in earlier. Please send the following information:

Title of Post
URL of Post
Name of Blog
URL of Blog
Brief summary of the post
(With "carnival" or "submission" in the subject field of the email.)

You can also send in a submission via Blog Carnival by going here.
If you haven't read any blog carnivals before, please read What is a Blog Carnival.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

writer2b said...

The carnival looks great. Thanks for hosting!

Shez said...

Great carnival. Thanks for including me.

Barbara Frank said...

You had a lot of posts to organize---good job, and thanks for including my post!

christinemm said...

Thank you for hosting the CoH. I am linking to it now. Have a great day!

SuperAngel said...

Thank you so much for putting my article in. I really appreciate it!
This carnival is great!
Sorry you can't enter the contest. ;)
Prayers and Blessings,
Miss Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com

Summer said...

Great carnival organization!

G.Chung said...

That was really nice carnival.