Monday, July 14, 2008

Corn Meal Biscuits Using Buttermilk

I just wrote about this recipe on the yahoo group, Healthychow, which my friend Laura asked me to join. Here's all you need to know. :)
We bought a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk last week so I could make a buttermilk waffle recipe that looked really good (and boy was it!), but what to do with the rest of the buttermilk??

Corn Meal Biscuits

2 c all-purpose flour
¾ c coarsely ground corn meal (mine said medium and seemed to work just fine)
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ c margarine (do people use this stuff anymore? I used regular butter.)
1 c buttermilk (fresh, not from powder)

Combine dry ingredients and stir well. Cut in margarine/butter with pastry blender or food processor until it resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir until ingredients are moistened. This forms a soft dough.

Turn onto floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. (I have a Tupperware pastry mat, but this time used just a really big acrylic cutting board.) Roll dough to ½ in thickness and cut with 2 ½ in biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on lightly greased baking sheet (I used Pampered Chef stoneware that doesn’t need to be greased) and bake at 450 deg F for 12 min or until browned.

Yield: 24 biscuits—ha ha ha that’s really funny! We got about 10 and they were so yummy!! Though I think my cutter has a 3 in diameter. So maybe you could get closer to 24 with a 2 or 2 1/2 in cutter. But I wouldn't--who needs that many biscuits? And if they're larger, you can put more butter and jelly or jam or lemon curd or sausage gravy or . . .



This recipe came from Southern Breadwinners by Linda G Hatcher. And I’ll post the waffle recipe later—that’s from a different book.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Look yummy!

RecycleCindy said...

Wow all this good food is making me hungry. A wonderful MIFS recipe.

Art Svensson said...

I sent this link to my daughter, Kristin. She is also a homeschools,
raises critters and is a libertarian.

She blogs at http://solarfamilyfarm.com/

Z' Hodges said...

How would it taste if I added blueberries to it?

Zinnada<><