Monday, July 14, 2008

Hip Hop Classes at the Dance Barn

Emily and I both took the Hip Hop workshops offered on Saturday at the Dance Barn in Stanardsville.

Kelly sent this email out beforehand:

Hey all!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we are holding hip hop workshops this weekend at The Dance Barn. On Saturday July 12th (and Saturday July 26th) Matt Steffanina will be teaching a Youth class (ages 8-12) from 12:15-1:15 and a Teen/Adult class from 1:30-2:30. Some of you may know Matt from the classes he taught at CHEC, as well as his classes at ACAC. He is an amazing dancer and a dynamic teacher.

Each class is $12 in advance and $15 the day of the class. I hope to see some of you there!

All the best,

Kelly

I asked Emily if she was interested, and since we've both been watching So You Think You Can Dance and have seen lots of great hip hop choreography and styles, she said yes! I didn't intend to take the class myself, but after watching the kids' class for about 15 minutes, I decided it looked too fun to pass up.

Matt did a great job--there were both teens and adults in the class, and I'm sure he could have gone faster or done trickier moves with just teens, so I appreciated that he kept it comfortable for me and the other mom. :) In the teen/adult class, we learned this routine that he choreographed to Nelly's Party People.



Yeah, we didn't look as good as Matt when we were done, and it's amazing to me that it's such a short piece yet took us almost an hour to learn. :) But that just shows you how difficult dance can be and how hard you have to train to make it look easy! We haven't decided if we're going to go to the second workshop yet, depends on our schedule. Oh, and my step-son laughed when I told him I'd learned some hip hop. ;)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

John Edgar Park said...

Fresh.

Silvia said...

Kinda reminds me of your RunDMC days. :)