Thursday, July 31, 2008

How to Use Stevia?

I've been growing a stevia plant since last summer--started with seeds. The plant didn't get very large last year, so I brought it inside, hoping it would last the winter. It got very leggy and sad looking. But in the spring, I put it back outside and it's doing nicely.

Now my question is, do I have to harvest the leaves and dry them in order to use them? Or can I use the fresh green leaves as a sweetener? I'm thinking, add a few leaves to the iced tea maker, where I put the tea bags, so they steep together maybe. If you have any ideas or advice, please tell me! Ok, so I wasn't Googling with the right phrase before--now I found a page on using fresh stevia. I still want to know what you do with it, though!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

denise said...

I use fresh leaves to make lemonade or iced tea...I just pound a leaf or two a bit in the mortar & pestle, and then add it to the pitcher and stir...leave for a bit and then remove. A few times I have tried using a fresh leaf when making a fresh fruit compote or syrup too - tastes good.

Or, end of summer I have harvested all the leaves, dried on my dehydrator and then crumble to use from there.

Looks like a nice big healthy plant! :)