Sunday, July 13, 2008

I'll Take My Chances, Thanks Anyway

I hadn't heard this new development in airline travel. Want Some Torture With Your Peanuts? explains about a new device the airlines may implement for all passengers to wear. From the story:

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser®. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal, Inc. website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers (video also shown below).

This bracelet would:

• Take the place of an airline boarding pass

• Contain personal information about the traveler

• Be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• Shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

The Electronic ID Bracelet, as it’s referred to, would be worn by every traveler “until they disembark the flight at their destination.” Yes, you read that correctly. Every airline passenger would be tracked by a government-funded GPS, containing personal, private and confidential information, and would shock the customer worse than an electronic dog collar if the passenger got out of line.

Wow, that'll be fun. How do you define, "getting out of line," exactly? I would have thought that most airline passengers would be more than ready to step in these days if there were a threatening passenger, but maybe people have started to forget the terrorists already.

I'd rather step up and put myself at some risk rather than put control over every individual on the plane (kids too? who knows! small child crying too much--is that getting out of line?) in the hands of the attendants. There's a lot more risk in that, don't you think? And who's to say they're not the terrorists in a particular situation, or that terrorists or other disturbed individuals can' get control of the bracelets in flight?

Sorry, but I'll take my chances and keep my freedom (what's left of it), if/when I fly again.

HT to Melissa at Bonny Glen.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

S said...

O.k. that is scary. I was reading the comments and one guy said it was all hype but I'm not so sure. The reference to passenger flights in an official document for Homeland Security is enough to make me skeptical. I too, would much rather be a little less safe and a lot more free.