Thursday, August 28, 2008

Monarchs

We found several monarch caterpillars recently and brought them in the house to raise to become butterflies. We did this last year (here's a second post) and the year before as well (the videos are really cool!). The kids admittedly aren't nearly as excited about this whole thing as I am. :)

One of the catties is in a "J" already, another is also up on the ceiling of the critter keeper getting ready to do the same thing. They were already pretty large when we found them.

A third one is still not ready. It's the first one we found and was really small then, so it has done a lot of growing. Here's a cool site with lots of info on raising your own monarchs.

I'm relieved that I won't have to keep feeding them once they're in their chrysalis, because the L&L conference is coming up really, really soon. So this guy needs to hurry up already!

On another related note, our milkweed has really been infested with milkweed bugs this year. We haven't seen this problem before. When the pods start to open, the seeds inside are like dust. I think we have just one species of milkweed, so I'd really love to get a couple other varieties established in case this happens again. Fortunately the leaves are ok, and I've seen several other caterpillars on the plants, so I guess it's not too bad.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: