Friday, September 19, 2008

Defining "Radical"

As in Radical Unschooling, that is. On the Family Radical Unschoolers Network--link in sidebar--we're asked, "What does radical unschooling mean to you?"

One member wrote that for him,

"The definition of what's "radical" is its distance from what's considered the norm."


Ren replied:
"That's one definition. My favorite is this: 1. Arising from or going to a root or source; basic."


I love that! And I saw that "radical" can also be defined as "forming a basis or foundation."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Susan said...

Can't remember who wrote it (I looked through the forum archives but didn't find it), but someone on RUN said the "radical" in front of unschooling meant deeply; to the core.

I guess Ren phrased it in a similar way, too. I've never seen it explained quite that way but when I read that it made perfect sense and really spoke to me.