Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Own Little Hanging Moss Garden and Other Pictures

I thought I'd post this picture of moss I moved to this hanging basket, along with some vinca/periwinkle, early in the spring. The picture is from the end of September. There's a little hen/chick plant in there too but you can't see it.
This is my Solomon's Seal with berries. And an update on the plant as a medicinal herb, but also a warning that the berries are very poisonous (HT to my mom).

As an alternative medicine, it gives relief, healing or mending to sports injuries and other acute injuries related to tendons, joints, ligaments, bones, bruises, connecting tissues, cartilage, osteoarthritis, etc. It also soothes and repairs gastrointestinal inflammation and injuries. It is effective for feminine issues, such as menstrual cramps, PMS, bleeding, and the like. Additionally, it is known to lower blood pressure, relieve dry coughs, and to increase concentration and mental clarity.

Blooming begins in April and continues through midsummer. The berries appear as the flowers fade and resemble a hard blue-black pea.

Note: True Solomon's Seal berries are inedible and poisonous!



I'm not sure what this plant is, but something I think I got from the native plant sale a year and a half ago. But then it could just be goldenrod. These leaves are smooth. I can't find it in any of my three wildflower books, not exactly. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure this is Purple Thorn-Apple, or Jimsonweed, a poisonous plant. It grew up next to a compost pile. Pretty purple flowers though. That linked site says:
All parts of Jimsonweed are poisonous. Leaves and seeds are the usual source of poisoning, but are rarely eaten do to its strong odor and unpleasant taste. Poisoning can occur when hungry animals are on sparse pasture with Jimsonweed infestation. Most animal poisoning results from feed contamination. Jimsonweed can be harvested with hay or silage, and subsequently poisoning occurs upon feeding the forage. Seeds can contaminate grains and is the most common poisoning which occurs in chickens.

That might explain why some of our chickens have died in the past from unknown reasons.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Tracey said...

Your hanging basket is so sweet. The moss gives it such character!