Science Museum of Virginia
Experience Life. Experience Learning. Homeschool!
Family Fun at the Conference
We’ve thought of everything when it comes to family fun at the VaHomeschoolers Conference. You’ll definitely want to bring the kids along because the family programming lineup gets better and better with each conference year. Here’s your checklist for a whole day’s entertainment for children of all ages and it’s all included with conference registration. Check it twice so your family doesn’t miss out on any of the fun!
• Storytelling - VaHomeschoolers welcomes Kim Weitkamp, nationally acclaimed storyteller. Come hear one of Kim’s amazing stories, then participate in her workshop, Bait Hook and Catch: Crafting the Perfect Tall Tale, where participants will learn the basics of what builds a great tall tale. Learn more about Kim at www.justkissthefrog.com.
• Puppet Show – Heidi Rugg and her Barefoot Puppets return to the conference with a production of Galapagos George. Through beautiful scenery and captivating puppet actors, Heidi takes viewers to the Galapagos Islands to learn the story of the last giant tortoise to be found on Pinta Island. Meet all of Heidi’s puppets at www.barefootpuppets.com.
• Ice Cream Social and Talent Show – Celebrate Memorial Day weekend at the “Stars and Stripes” Talent Show and Ice Cream Social. Open to kids of all ages, share your talent or display your art with homeschool friends. This event will be held Friday, May 22 from 7-10 p.m. at the host hotel, Holiday Inn I-64 West End/Crossroads. To register for the talent show or art display, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Crafts – Make your own conference souvenir at the “Notable Notebooks” station. Teen volunteers will help children customize a spiral bound notebook with the art of collage, as part of the “altered books” trend.
• Science Museum of Virginia – The museum currently has some fantastic exhibits including Mindbenders, Bioscape, Science Unplugged and many more! For more information, visit www.smv.org.
• A Trip to the Zoo! – Meet some of Mill Mountain Zoo's residents in an animal meet-and-greet where staff from the zoo will teach you about the visiting animals, their habitats and other interesting facts. Check out their website at www.mmzoo.org.
Remember Early Bird Registration for your discounted conference fee! We still need adult volunteers and used curriculum donations. For additional information on the conference sessions, volunteering, donations to the used curriculum, or registration, please visit www.vahomeschoolers.org/conference.
Please feel free to forward this message to other homeschoolers and homeschool groups or email lists who might find this information useful. If this message was forwarded to you, be sure to join the VaHomeschoolers Announcement List to receive future updates directly.
Join online: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VaHomeschoolersAnnouncements
Or via email: VaHomeschoolersAnnouncementsemail@example.com
VaHomeschoolers is now on Facebook:
The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers
PO Box 5131
Charlottesville, VA 22905