Friday, June 12, 2009

QOTD--Nietzsche

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. -- Friedrich Nietzsche


This is the photo of the day at National Geographic. It really looks like a painting to me. I don't know why I included it in this post, but this is possibly a long-married couple. Let's hope they are a bit mad as well. :)

Ok, here's another Nietzsche quote:

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. --Friedrich Nietzsche
This one speaks to me on several levels. I haven't read much Nietzsche, and what I did read was in high school or college, so I don't know the context of that quote. But it seems to me that the tribe he speaks of could be as large as your country, culture, or even the "tribe of man." But it could also be your friends and family, too. I think that homeschoolers, and even more, radical unschoolers, feel this quite a bit.

The Quotations Page has, obviously, a lot of quotes to choose from. :) Here are two more:

Digressions, objections, delight in mockery, carefree mistrust are signs of health; everything unconditional belongs in pathology. --Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently. --Friedrich Nietzsche, The Dawn, Sec. 297




Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: