Friday, August 07, 2009

Rule .303: Deer Hunting for Locavores and Foodies

This sounds like a great idea! From Rule .303: Deer Hunting for Locavores and Foodies:

"I have noticed over the last few years that there are a lot of people out there who did not grow up hunting or shooting, but have expressed some interest in taking up deer hunting. After all, it is ethically the next best thing to being a vegetarian. 'Slow food' proponents and locavores are both groups of people who should logically have an interest in doing this.

With those people in mind, I am considering putting together a small semi-formal class on deer hunting from a 'slow food' and locavore perspective. This would be for adults who are total newbies to hunting and firearms. We'd be doing a series of workshops on topics such as deer behavior, ecology, firearms safety, hunting techniques, field dressing and butchering. Ideally, each student would get paired with an experienced hunter for an actual hunt towards the end of the class."


I have friends whose sons or husbands haven't hunted but are interested in learning how, so I hope they take note of this! Not being sexist here--none of my girlfriends have expressed any interest. ;) And my daughter has gone hunting with Eddie; I just don't think any of her friends are interested, either. As for me, too cold, too early in the morning--maybe I'll join Eddie mid-day just to shoot some pics sometime.


HT: Cvillenews.com



Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

That's a great idea. Anytime you can share your passion for the outdoors with those that haven't had the opportunity to experience it, and don't know how to benefit from it, you are doing them a great service.

Best of luck to you!
Albert