Tuesday, October 13, 2009

And Yet Another Reason to Homeschool

It's a Fork, It's a Spoon, It's a . . . Weapon? from the NYT. So a 6 year-old was suspended for 45 days for bringing to school a combo camping knife/fork/spoon he got in Cub Scouts. He wanted to use it a lunch. Hmmm.


For Zachary, it is not school violence that has left him reluctant to return to classes.

“I just think the other kids may tease me for being in trouble,” he said, pausing before adding, “but I think the rules are what is wrong, not me.”


He's still thinking for himself!

I really love this excerpt, which is not about the case that's just happened:

The law was introduced after a third-grade girl was expelled for a year because her grandmother had sent a birthday cake to school, along with a knife to cut it. The teacher called the principal — but not before using the knife to cut and serve the cake.

OMG! Did the teacher even think about what she was doing???? Hope she liked the cake.

Question--do any of these school districts with no tolerance policies give kids knives at lunch? Maybe not, I don't know, but if they do, what's the difference in a kid bringing his own similar butter knife to school?

And I wrote about this subject back in 2007, also, over a similar incident. Nothing's changed.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: